Sorry it took me so long to get this last post about our journey up. I have been focused on other issues the last two weeks. If you want to see the first three parts of this journey, read
our-journey-to-homeschooling-part-1.html
our-journey-to-homeschooling-part-2.html
our-journey-to-homeschooling-part-3.html
The curriculum that my co-worker was discussing turned out to be the Robinson Curriculum . I was very intrigued by this curriculum as it is a self-taught curriculum that needed little intervention from the "teacher/parent". Given that HJ was struggling and was obviously going to need extra help, this approach sounded very appealing. I just couldn't imagine what the day would be like for CP with four kids at different levels all needing help at the same time.
I began researching more and more into the curriculum and it's philosophy . I really liked what I read and it seemed like it would suit our needs. I then looked at the booklist and REALLY liked the list of books. It includes The Swiss Family Robinson, Aesop's Fables, Heidi, Little Women, Robinson Crusoe, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, The Federalist Papers, the US Constitution, and Pilgrim's Progress.
I also like the approach to math. The recommendation is to work on math facts FIRST and don't start textbook work until all math facts (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) are known and known well! Since this is something that is ignored in the public schools and I believe is foundational to math, I really liked this idea. Also, JA has struggled with his math because he did NOT know his math facts cold like he needed.
The writing approach sounded interesting. The kids do copywork from good books (such as those on the reading list) until they turn 10. From then on, they write one page a day on any topic/subject of their choosing. Writing was the straw that broke the camel's back for us for public school. Where we live, the fourth graders are required to take a writing exam near the end of the year. The parameters for this exam are 45 min for a draft and final copy of a five-paragraph essay. Now, I'm all for pushing kids to do the best they can do, but I really find this type of writing for a FOURTH grader to be excessive. I don't remember writing five paragraph essays until HIGH SCHOOL!!! And then I had much more than 45 min to do the job. Preparing for this exam brought both me and JA to tears on numerous occasions. This is NOT how I wanted him to feel about writing.
I wasn't sure how the writing would work out for us, but I am happy to report that after a year of faithfully using the Robinson Curriculum, both of my boys write WONDERFULLY! It is also amazing some of the topics they will write about - particularly, JA. He has written things that he would not tell us directly and they have started some wonderful conversations about issues he is dealing with as he grows up. We did start both boys with copywork 4 out of 5 days and then free-writing the last day. We now have copywork 1 day and free write 4 days a week.
As far as the "self-teaching" aspect - it has truly helped alleviate the pressure from CP so that he can focus on HJ and helping her. Both boys really like the approach (though they complain sometimes about the time involved!) and SG really enjoys the books she is reading. We really haven't found a "need" to supplement yet, but I give them all something "fun" to do each day in addition to their Reading, Writing and 'Rithmetic. They are progressing well and CP and and I aren't stressed out trying to help them with their schooling.
No comments:
Post a Comment