I have been in church all my life. Many times, I have heard people say that things will happen in "God's timing". I used to believe that. My perspective on this has changed over the last year.
I do believe that God is in control (another familiar cliche in church circles), but I also know that God has given man free will. Man's free will can make things happen in a different manner than God would prefer. People talk about God's will - and I believe in God's will - but I believe there are "levels" to his will.
Let's take the Israelites, for example. God freed them from Egypt, but they chose to not trust God about defeating the inhabitants of the Promised Land. As a result, the Israelites didn't enter the Promised Land until 40 years AFTER God had originally intended. Numbers 14:26-35
God's perfect will was NOT for the Israelites to die in the desert - his perfect will was for them to enjoy the blessings of the Promised Land. God's permissive will allowed the Israelites to choose (free will) disobedience and to suffer the consequences of their choice.
Now, lets look at our adoption of DJ. I don't believe for a minute that God's perfect will is for him to be a part of our family. I believe that God's perfect will was for DJ to be raised by his birth parents. DJ was finally made available for adoption in late 2008. I believe it was God's pleasing will that we would have adopted DJ back when we first saw his picture in 2008. However, for various man-centered reasons, that didn't happen (i.e. free will). As a result, God's permissive will is that DJ will be adopted by us in 2011.
Now, we have been waiting 73 days for our LOA. Why? I don't know why on the spiritual level, but we have found out why on the earthly level. A man chose to do (or in this case, not do) something that needed to be done. As a result, we are waiting significantly longer than average for our approval. Do I believe this is God's will? Yes - His permissive will. Is God in control? Yes, DJ will be come a part of our family, just not when he should have.
You see, I think we try to package God into a nice, neat simple box and say nice little platitudes that make our "faith" easier. However, I just don't buy into these platitudes anymore. My understanding of God and faith have become more complex and mysterious over the past year. And in other ways it has become more simplified. Do I think I understand it all? Absolutely not. Do I think I need to? Absolutely not.
What I do know, is that I need to be willing to say "Yes" when I hear God's command.
Are you?
4 comments:
I like this perspective! I do pray that man will get his butt moving and get your LOA to you! Are you going to praise night tonight?
I got to that point of understanding a few years ago. I also know many times "His timing" is based on what we are doing at the time which depends on us and we can miss the blessing completely if not in His perfect will. We can even ask for His perfect and will keep goin in the wrong direction, even when it looks good praying for God to close doors if it isn't mean to be, and we keep walking and forcing a window to open on our own. Even satan can make things look like they are from God. It sure gets complicated!
home today with a sick child.
What a beautiful post and I think absolutely truth-filled.
I am so sorry about this time of waiting. I know you know this too: God will not waste this time. He will use it for His glory and I believe He will and is using it for your preparation and DJ's too.
You see, now that I'm on the other side, I think our LONG journey is something we need to cling to right now. I know you get that b/c of our private chats. If I couldn't look back and see so many God stops over our long journey, I'd be doubting right now.
Many hugs to you my friend and praying HARD for the news you so desperately want this week (me too!), Leslie
Never looked at it quite like that...but you're right. Nice post.
Post a Comment