Tuesday, February 15, 2011

More about TJ

We are learning more about TJ each day.  He is a very smart boy and likes to learn.  Today we went to the City Wall of Nanjing and he actually took the time to read some of the historical information about the wall and the city.  He kept asking our guide lots of questions about things we were seeing.  This evening, I pulled out our Sterling Math Facts and let him try them.  He did great with addition and subtraction, so I let him try the multiplication and division.  He did awesome!  He doesn't know his 12 facts and struggles a little with his 11's but otherwise, he got almost everything else right!  He kept coming back over to the laptop to do more and more!!!
 
This afternoon, we were playing catch with the soft, squishy ball we brought for him.  When he threw it, it hit me in the eye.  I put my hand up and playfully said "Ow".  He came right over to me and said "I'm sorry"  (in Chinese of course).  He knows his ABC's, but not much else in English.  He is starting to say "Yes" and some of his numbers.  He likes playing Uno (or Yi) as does GW.  He will get ahead of us while we are out walking, but if I ask him to walk beside us, he does. 
 
This evening, however, curiosity got the best of him and he decided to check out the matches.  Fortunately, JA came over and told me quickly (CP and I were in our room) and I went over and told him "Bu hao" and took the matches away.  It has been pretty cold here for us Floridians, so we spent the majority of our day in our room.  The boys were getting a little stir crazy, so we took a walk down to the third floor to check out the card room, fitness center, and pool.  The pool isn't heated and we didn't bring swim suits, so we just looked.  Then we went up to the eighth floor to look at the view from the tennis court.   Later, we walked to the mall and got dinner at a bakery.  We came back to the hotel and played some more Uno. 
 
We were able to finally get some clothes for TJ today.  The jeans I brought for him are too short.  We bought a pair of jeans yesterday but they were WAY too expensive (dumb foreigner!)  So, today, I had our guide go with me and we found some for $11 and a set including shirt and light jacket for $22. 
 
Hopefully, tomorrow will be a little warmer and we can go check out the Confucious Temple area.  The lights are gorgeous at night from our window, but there are so many people, I don't think we'll go down there with TJ.  That is, unless we can convince him to hold our hand while we walk. 

1 comment:

Amy said...

Love all the pictures of your two boys! I am so glad they are doing well. It makes me very excited to go and get my two boys! Praying the rest of your trip goes smoothly.