Monday, March 21, 2011

Blessed

I've had this thought rambling around in my mind for a while now.  So far, the transition for us and our boys has gone amazingly well.  I'm not naive enough to believe it will always be this way.  I know at some point there will be some rough patches.  Because things are going so well, it is easy to say that God has blessed us in this adoption.  I don't disagree, but what about my friend who is really struggling with her newly adopted child?  She is a Christian; did God not bless her adoption?  I don't think so.  I think God blesses ALL families who adopt.  God commands us to care for the orphans and adoption is one way to do that.  I believe that God blesses those who are obedient to him (Gen 22:18).  So, just because things are pretty bumpy with someone, does that mean they are not blessed?

Blessing does not always come in the form of monetary or material items.  Blessing does not always come in the form of an easy road.  God blesses us in MANY ways.  For my friend, I'm not sure how God is blessing and is going to continue to bless her.  Maybe the blessings will come 10 or 20 years from now.  Maybe the blessing will come in Heaven.  I don't know.  But I do know that my friends are blessed.  If for no other reason than they have grown in their walk with the Lord.

2 comments:

Mrs. Winn said...

I love your last sentence! We are in an amazingly rough place right now, but I have been dwelling on how richly blessed we are because He is using this season to draw us so much deeper into Him. Would we seem blessed to the world right now? Not so much. I'm so glad that I know better and He holds me in His hands! It's been a joy to watch your family grow.
~Kelly

adoption resource said...

Our road has not been easy, or our precious daughter's, but I can say without reservation that this child has blessed us beyond measure!! I never imagined experiencing such joy. Her challenges have made me see the world in an entirely different way. Do I wish her life could be easy? Of course, but she is happy and hopefully unaware of any worries we may have for her. That's my job, and I happily carry that for her. These challenges are more than worth it for the joy she brings not only me, but everyone privileged to know her. If you end up in a tough spot one of these days, you will all come out of it stronger and wiser. Our suffering is never without a purpose.