Monday, April 25, 2011

Sometimes Our Government Makes Mistakes

Our wonderful government employees at the Newark Airport processed the boys paperwork.  A few weeks after we arrived home, we received these in the mail.
Sorry it is rotated, I couldn't convince it to go the right direction. 
I called the number that came on the paperwork with their Green Cards and told them we got the WRONG thing.  The very nice gentleman filed a form asking them to re-issue the boys' Certificate of Citizenship.  I knew that wasn't going to work since they hadn't issued them in the first place!  But, I played the game. 

About a week later, I received another notice in the mail from USCIS stating that we would have to fill out some form and send in some money to get a replacement CoC.  I called the number on that form and told them what happened.  The very nice lady that answered the phone gave me the phone number of the Child Citizenship Act office in Buffalo, NY.  I called them and spoke with a very nice gentleman there.  He told me that they had already sent the boys' paperwork to Missouri and that he would have to ask for it to be sent to him. 

About a week later, he called and said he had received the paperwork and everything had been done correctly.  He said he thought they just put it in the wrong pile when they got done!!! Anyway, he told me that I would have to send back the boys' green cards and as soon as he receives them he will send out their CoCs. 

Their green cards were FedEx'd on Friday.  Hopefully, we will have their CoC's in hand by the end of next week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my! Will the paperwork ever end? I still need to apply for social security cards and who knows what all else. Praying you get their CoC soon!

Anonymous said...

How blessed you are to get to speak to a HUMAN AND get a pleasant and helpful response! No Martha the paperwork goes on forever!!!! You need a mountain of paperwork to get a driver's license in my state for an international adoptee who has an American passport and lots of other official things. It is CRAZY!

Merrill said...

Oh the paper work. It is endless. Even though we are 7+ years post adoption, I still have to get my daughter's US passport. Oops! I had to go round and round to get her immigration packet back a few years ago, as I needed to see if there was any pertinent medical background. Anyway, after trying for almost 2 years, I was directed to the Buffalo office. Maybe we got the same man. He we efficient and responded quickly. I had what I requested quicker than I ever imagined. It's always nice to find someone who does their job and does it well, isn't it! Glad you were able to untangle that mess. Hope you get those CoC's quickly!