And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
And the angel said unto them,
Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
LUKE 2:8-14
=====================================================
This Christmas, I think I understand the true meaning more than I ever have before.
Christmas is not about presents or toys or trees or cookies or elves.
Christmas is not about lots of food or new electronic gadgets or even family.
Christmas is about L-O-V-E and L-I-F-E.
Christmas is about our Saviour giving up everything because of his love for us so we could have life.
I get it.
Do you know why I get it?
Because we made a choice last year on Dec 31st to give life and love to a 14 yr old boy. I don't say this to brag. I am so humbled by the choice God/Jesus made for me 2000 yrs ago. I understand now, in a very small way, why God would make the choice he did.
I struggled this year with what gifts to give my children for Christmas. They have everything they need and more. I don't want to give them good gifts; I want to give them the best gift.
What is the best gift, you ask?
It can't be wrapped up.
And it can't be given at one point in time.
It must be taught.
The best gift is knowing what is truly important in life.
1) God is your best friend and wants a relationship with you.
Fortunately, most of my kids have accepted this gift.
2) Live your life serving others as Jesus did.
This is a lesson I hope to teach better in 2012.
3) Live your life giving to others.
This lesson starts today. Check back on the blog later for an update on this.
I'm not sure how this will work itself out over the next few years, but I do know this:
Christmas will never be the same.
1 comment:
That's it....the real meaning of Christmas! Beautifully expressed! I'm thankful that I was directed to your blog months ago! I have truly loved and learned so much by following along!
I pray God's riches blessings on your beautiful family!
Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment