Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day

Mother's Day is a bittersweet day for me. 

On the positive side, my hubby and kids loved on me quite a bit.  I was the recipient of dinner out on Saturday night, breakfast in bed Sunday morning, lots of handmade Mother's Day cards, a store-bought card, a gift card to a local spa, a massage from HJ, a hairstyle from SG, and a piano serenade from AT.

On the sad side, I am keenly aware that there are three birth moms and two foster moms who do not know where their children are today.  I asked TJ if he remembers his birth mom and he says he doesn't - that it was too long ago.  This saddens me as he was not abandoned as an infant and I thought he might have some memories.  Last week, I asked GW if he remembers his birth mom and he does. 

In addition, I haven't had a real relationship with my mom in over 3 years.  This is my decision as a result of choices that my mom has made over the years and continues to make. 

In many ways, the day is just like any other Sunday.  We attended church; I took a couple of the kids on some errands; helped some kids with schoolwork; played baseball in the yard (ok, this is not a usual occurrence); cooked dinner and watched a movie. 

Yes, I cooked dinner with help from HJ.  CP cooks during the week and I cook on the weekends - it's what works for us.

And then I think of all of the kids around the world who do not have a Mom and all of the adult ladies who want to be a Mom and for some reason aren't. 

As another bloggy friend said -

Mother's Day is a Complicated Day

1 comment:

Eva Domkowski said...

Glad you had a nice relaxing Mother's Day with your gang. Yep, it stinks when this day is not all roses and chocolates. It's certainly a day of reflection. So many moms have touched our lives in ways they do not know.