Saturday, November 24, 2012

Lessons in Safety

Today we had lessons in safety.  This morning, we learned about safety at home - specifically in the kitchen.  You see, one of our children put some water on the stove to boil - and then walked out.  What they didn't realize is that a towel was sitting very close to the eye.  A few minutes later, one of the other kids asked me why it smelled like a campfire.  I responded that it was the heat (it is the first time we've turned it on).  A few moments later, the cooking child heard the timer go off and went back to the kitchen.  That was when the child found the flaming towel.  I happened to be following said child into the kitchen and spotted the towel as well.  The child did knock some of the flame down by smothering it with the other end of the towel.  But I ended up grabbing the towel and tossing it in the sink where I had some meat thawing for dinner.

Needless to say, we had a discussion reviewing the rules about NOT leaving the kitchen when you are cooking.  I have also hung the towel on the stove as a reminder for the next week.

Then this evening, we learned about safety away from home.  The four boys asked to walk to the W*lm*rt which is about 1 mile from our house.  We allow them to do this on occasion, but only if they go together (never alone).  They also take a cell phone so they can call if the need arises.  I called them about 5:10pm and asked if they were on their way home.  I wanted to make sure they would make it home before it got too dark.  They said they were still at W*lm*rt because they had forgotten to buy something we asked them to purchase.  I told them to hurry home and call if they weren't going to make it in time.  About 20 min later, I got a phone call.  One of the boys said he got cramps and the rest of the boys didn't wait for him.  I decided that I was going to teach them a lesson.

I went and picked up the lagging child (who fortunately had the phone) and drove him home.  I let the other three continue their walk.  About 5:50, I was ready to head out the door to go pick them up when I got a call from them.  They couldn't find their brother and had walked all the way back to W*lm*rt looking for him.  I played it to the hilt.  I went and picked them up and started drilling them.  They readily admitted that they had left their brother behind, though they claimed to have been looking back for him every 30 seconds.  I asked where they had seen him last and we drove there; they were noticeably concerned.  I made them get out and look in the stores (it was a small strip mall) for him.  Of course, they didn't see him.  I continued to drill them about where they last saw him.  Then one of them asked if the "missing" child had called home.  I stalled.  I finally pulled over and told them the truth.  I explained to them how I had picked him up and they hadn't even noticed.  I pointed out that I could have been anyone and who knows what might have happened to their brother.  I believe that they all learned a hard lesson and I hope they will never leave a sibling or friend alone again.

Once we got home, they all apologized to their brother and we discussed safety even more.  Hopefully, they will never need to put to use what they learned today.

5 comments:

Wes said...

Good life lessons What every family should have is a house fire plan and fire drills. Pilots practice for when things go wrong so that reactions are automatic. It's a great life saver.

Lynnea said...

Oh wow...so thankful the fire wasnt any worse. And some good lessons today! Stove fires can happen so quickly...
Hugs!

Vicky said...

I love how you handled that situation! Great lesson!

Sherri said...

Great reminder for all of us! Thanks for sharing.

Difference2This1 said...

Wow! What a huge round of safety events that occured. Glad the fire wasn't out of control and lessons were learned. Sounds like you did a great job teaching. Eldest isn't allowed the stove due to her issues but one day recently just decided to put a pan on to boil water for noodles and walk away. No one knew she had done that (since she isn't allowed) and the two boys were exploring out there while some of us sat at the kitchen table. I feel sick when I think about what could have happened had we let them walk near the cold (as we thought) stove and they grabbed the pan or touched the stovetop :( We have to be hyper-diligent here. Thankful all went well with your lessons and I sure "get" why they were so important...hopefully none of it will happen again!!! Blessings, Jennifer