Friday, May 03, 2013

High School for an older international Adoptee

BG will be entering 10th grade this upcoming school year after having only been in the US for 2.5 yrs. For the upcoming year, BG will continue doing most of what he was doing last year (post here and here ) with some tweaks.

His math will be Saxon Algebra 2 and he will continue his reading with Grandpa.  However, I am going to replace his random video watching with a more structured approach. 

For science, he will be watching the DIVE Biology video with JA and then watching supplemental Biology videos from Khan Academy, Netflix, Education Portal, LearnersTV.com and iTunesU. 

For History, he will be watching the supplemental videos that JA will be watching and listening to the books that JA will be reading. 

For English, I will have his also listen to the books that JA is reading so that they can discuss the books together.

I will continue to have him write about the videos/books and I will help him with correcting his grammar.  I have also toyed with getting him a more structured grammar book, but haven't made a firm decision yet.

In addition, I want him to choose 2 electives from a variety of video sources to round out his day.  We are also trying to get him a job at our local supermarket.  If that happens, then I'll back off of the electives.  And of course, he'll continue to play basketball for our local Christian school.

Hopefully, this will keep him busy during the day while pumping lots of information into his head!

No comments: