Yesterday we raided the big bookstore in downtown Guangzhou. I had been told that lots of books could be had for very cheap - and of course they were right. I bought a large suitcase just to be able to bring them home. Good thing, because I filled it up. When I got back to the room and weighed it, it was 23kg or 50lbs!!! And all for just over $200USD! What a DEAL! However, since it was over the 20kg limit, I had to rearrange a number of our suitcases to try and get it under the limit.
We left the hotel at 2:30 to go to the consulate to get the boys' passports with US Visas! And the infamous brouwn envelopes. Because of the TB test for GW, not only do I have a chest x-ray to hand carry with me, but his passport is stapled to a 2nd brown envelope and they can NOT be separated. So much for carrying his passport in my money belt! We got the the airport in plenty of time and told Rebecca our guide good-bye. She was WONDERFUL while we were in Guangzhou. I know now why everyone raves about the Small World/Lifeline Travel.
We made it to Beijing last night. We are staying at the Peking Yard Hostel which is an old hutong. It is quite the change from the last three hotels. There are 3 bunk beds and barely enough room to walk between them and an attached bath. No TV in the room (much less access to 3)! It is kind of nice in a very simplistic way. It's more like what we are used to with camping. Hopefully, the boys will appreciate home now rather than be disappointed because we don't have 3 flatscreen TVs with a gazillion channels!!! Fortunately, since our visit to the bookstore, they have lots of books to read rather than watching the screen.
This morning we awoke to about 3 inches of snow on the ground. It is BEAUTIFUL - and VERY cold. I was able to climb up to the top of the hostel to the little patio and take some photos. I'll post them later. I still haven't found my USB cable yet due to the repacking.
Today we went to the Forbidden City. Since there are 6 of us with our guide, we had to take two taxis. That was a little scary, but it worked out fine. Especially since I realized that I forgot to give CP any cash, so the driver had to wait for us to show up to get paid. We had a GREAT time walking through the Forbidden City. When we were there five years ago, it was clear and cold. Today it was GORGEOUS with all of the snow but also freezing. After walking through there, we went to a pedestrian street for lunch. The taxi adventure there was a little more interesting as CP, GW and JA got in the first taxi, but me, our guide and TJ managed to get there first. It was quite prayer-inducing but they showed up just about two minutes later. After a wonderful Chinese lunch, we walked the street and purchased a gift for our small group Bible Study. While we have been gone, they have been checking in on Grandpa and the kids and making sure they don't starve! I know they have had Valentine's cookies, Beef Stew, Wendy's burgers/fries/shakes and other yummy dishes.
For our return to the hostel, it was once again two taxis. This time, I was more comfortable though as I had grabbed the card for the hostel before we left and gave it to CP. CP, JA, and GW got in the taxi and our guide showed the driver the card and gave it to him. Just a minute later, we found our taxi and headed off. When we got to the Hostel, I didn't see CP and the boys, so I just assumed that they had made it there before us and had headed into the room. When I got to the room, though, it was empty. I told our guide and we walked back to the street. Once again, prayer was racing through my head. You see, I had ventured to a little store before returning to the room, so I knew they would have had plenty of time to get to the room. When we got back to the main street, there were nowhere to be seen. We just kept looking and I kept praying. Finally, about 3 minutes later, we saw them walking down the street. I knew from the look on CPs face that it had been an adventure.
Their taxi driver dropped them at the wrong place and they had to walk about 6 blocks to get back to the hostel. Fortunately, the card for the hostel had a small map on it and they were able to ask directions from 3 different people. I asked JA if he felt like part of "The Amazing Race" and he said yes.
Tomorrow, we are hoping to go to the Great Wall Mutianyu section. That is if the weather is good. Sorry for no pictures. If I find the cable before bedtime, I will.
A little more about the boys. GW is getting bored - not a big surprise. I hope he appreciates this opportunity to visit Beijing- if not now, then when he is older. TJ is just LOVING being in Beijing. It turns out that he is quite the Chinese history buff. Our guide says he knows more about the various dynasties than she does - particularly the ancient ones. She said he named all of the Emporers from at least 5 or 6 dynasties. He apparently also knows all of the American Presidents (or at least up to Lincoln!!!) Everyone that talks to him says that he is VERY smart. From what they are telling me, I would have to agree. I imagine that GW is just as smart; he just doesn't talk as much.
2 comments:
I'm wondering about GW being bored. Is it possible he's dealing with emotions and not just boredom? Loving following your adventure.
I would love to see a picture of all the books you got! What kind of books did they have. I am a total book addict so we will have to visit the book store when we visit.
Post a Comment