Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Sticker Shock

The current housing market seems to be so overloaded with homes that people are mainly interested in homes that are up-to-date and move-in ready.  That's fine, except we aren't people who care much about being "up-to-date".  As a result, our home, which is perfectly functional, apparently needs some updating to be able to sell easier in this market. 

I didn't think this would be a big deal.  We need new flooring (an off-white carpet over the past 7 years with 3, then 4, then 6 kids that ranged in age from 9mo to 14 can wear a carpet out), a new countertop (formica just doesn't cut it anymore), new kitchen appliances (minus the dishwasher which we had to replace shortly after coming home from China) and possibly new kitchen cabinets (they are perfectly fine, but not the new, warm, wood look that has become popular).  I was thinking we could get out for around $10k. 

Well...


apparently even though labor is cheap now,



materials are NOT!

Our first quote for replacing the kitchen cabinets (only - not the countertop) was $12k!!!!

I nearly fell out of my chair. 


We then got a quote for re-facing the cabinets and replacing the countertop with granite (but still need a tile backsplash) for $9900. 


We haven't even gotten a quote for the flooring.  It has been strongly recommended that we go with hardwood or laminate.   Right now, ripping up the carpet and painting the concrete to look like tile is sounding pretty good to me!

LOL!

OK, I'm sure we won't get by with that.  But now I'm having second thoughts about selling right now.... 
I'm just not sure we'll get back what we will end up having to put into the house.  Fortunately, homes in our neighborhood are selling, so there is hope.  I just wasn't expecting to have to spend so much just to move...

Breathe, breathe, breathe....

2 comments:

Holly L-B said...

Are you do it yourselfers? Because I would have some suggestions if you are.

Haley said...

check into poured concrete countertops. they are much less expensive than granite and look really nice.