Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Integrated History

While I was very happy with our plan for US History, I began to think about something I wish I had a better grasp on.  I know my US History and I know some World History, but I don't know how all the pieces fit together.  So, I have decided to create a two-year integrated History course for JA and BG.

Here is the plan: (in addition to the books/videos described for US History here )
Eyewitness to History  as our World History Spine  ~10 pgs/wk
Eyewitness to America  as our US History Spine ~10 pgs/wk
131 Christians Everyone Should Know  another Spine
China:  It's History and Culture  another Spine

The two Eyewitness books are arranged Chronologically, so I lined them up and figured out how many pages per week to finish in 72 weeks.  The 131 Christians books is NOT arranged Chronologically, so JA and BG will have to figure out what to read when based on the time frame for each 6 weeks session.  The China book is also Chronological, but doesn't lend itself to an easy X pgs/wk so they'll just have to read the appropriate section at the appropriate time.  Each 6 weeks breaks down like this:
Creation - 1432 (I know, I wish now I had given more time to BC, but it is what it is)
1432 - 1597
1597 - 1741
1741- 1802
1802 - 1846
1846 - 1864
1864 - 1898
1898-1919
1919 - 1940
1940 - 1945
1945 - 1964
1964 - 1992

In addition to these books, they will be using the following internet resources, books and videos at the appropriate times.  They will also be doing a timeline and Google Earth project mapping the event locations. In addition, JA will be writing two major papers (one for US History, one for World History) during the course of the two years.  This will be so I can give him Honors Credit.

Internet resources
History: Mankind - The Story of Us All  This will be done at the beginning as an overview with the associated study guides
Drive Through History with the associated study guides
Stanford Read Like a Historian and the associated study guides

Books:
Selected GA Henty books
Selected YWAM Christian Heros Then and Now
A Tale of Two Cities
My African Journey by Churchill
The Good Earth
Night by Elie Wiesel

Videos: (we won't watch all of these, but will pick and choose to fill in gaps)
(Yes, I know some of these are rated R - I will make a final decision after watching the movie myself)
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Amistad
Amazing Grace
The True Story of Braveheart 
Ghandi 
The Ten Commandments
Troy 
Jesus of Nazereth 
Ben-Hur 
Masada 
Ivanhoe 
Marco Polo 
The Canterbury Tales 
Joan of Arc
Mongol 
Christopher Columbus 
War and Peace 
Julius Ceasar's Rome 
The True Story of the Bridge on the River Kwai 
Tibet's Lost Paradise-Shangri-La 
Pompeii - Buried Alive
The Warlords 
Shaolin 
Three Kingdoms 
Inside the Forbidden City 
The French Revolution
Digging for the Truth 
Real Pirates of the Caribbean 
The History of Ancient Rome 
The Conquerors 
Ancients Behaving Badly 
55 Days at Peking
China Revealed 
China and the Chinese

1 comment:

Blessed said...

I also recommend the movie "Glory" for your studies. It does have realistic war violence, but not NEARLY what most movies have nowadays. We just finished studying the Civil War and I watched "Glory" with my 12 year old daughter, and it was appropriate for her at that age--I am sure it would be for your boys. Also, would you please consider adding Buster Keaton's silent masterpiece "The General" to the list, as a family movie to see when you are at the Civil War part of history? It would be something everyone could enjoy, as long as someone reads the occasional intertitles aloud. Don't think B&W silent is boring--this is one of the best movies ever made, and tell your kids that ALL the stunts were done by Buster Keaton himself--before special effects, so when he's running all over a moving train, that's really what's happening! My family loves this movie, and the kids just laugh out loud so hard at it. It's available through Netflix. : )