During our lifetime we are faced with many changes. Two changes have hit our household in the schooling department recently.
First, one of our children is now enrolled in the local public school.
I know, I swore I would never re-enroll my kids in public school (especially middle school).
God laughed at me!
We had started looking into schooling options for this child about a month ago. We first started with a small private school with which we were familiar, but it didn't work out. We then looked at a number of other bigger private schools, but every where we turned, it seemed we were getting negative feedback. It took a misunderstanding on my part for God to get me past my stubbornness on the public school issue. I talked to a mom whose son had struggled at the school and her comments stunned me - they were all positive. When we finally made the decision, I finally felt at peace.
Second, one of our children is now working on a more relaxed homeschooling approach. This child has big dreams and in my zeal for supporting him, I ended up overwhelming him. Rather than letting him lead and walking beside him, I took his hand and started running - dragging him along with me. I asked for his forgiveness two days ago and handed him the reigns of his schoolwork. It is now up to him to figure things out with me by his side. I have set goals (both long term and short term) for him, but it is his responsibility to figure it out.
Boy, this parenting/homeschooling thing is H-A-R-D. But we will get through it - one day at a time.
2 comments:
This parenting gig isn't easy. And then God has to go and laugh at us. Yep. Been there. Done that. Continuing to pray for you!
Thanks for writing these thing. When we're walking similar paths, we don't have to have details to understand. But having it spoken always gives me comfort that we're not alone. Hope things get better soon. Also, I understand the homeschool/public school decisions - esp. with older adoptees!
Post a Comment